Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Why use books?
Textbooks are aimed at students and are useful as an introduction to a topic and give you an overview of a subject.
The smartest way to start your search
To search for:
- a specific book, type in the author surname and some words from the title
- books on a topic, type your keywords and then select Books from the Limit by material type menu on the left-hand side of your results page
(Reading lists for individual modules can be accessed via Blackboard)
Key reference books for Pharmacy
Access the current version of these key reference works online by clicking on the links below or search Library SmartSearch for older editions e.g. there are over 20 years of the Bristish Pharamcopoeia available in print on the 3rd floor of the Library.
British Pharmacopoeia Online This link opens in a new windowBritish Pharmacopoeia is the authoritative collection of standards for medicines in the UK. The website contains everything that is in the printed version, although it is easier to search for information and to follow cross-references. A print version is available in the reference section on the 2nd floor of the library at 615.1141 BRI. Earlier editions are also available for loan on the main shelves at the same number.
Once you have logged in with your network username and password and reached the BP Online site, you will need to select "Login" at the top right-hand side of the screen and then select BP 2013 or BP 2014 as required.
Medicines Complete This link opens in a new windowMedicinesComplete, from the the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain offers online access to some of the world's leading drug and healthcare references.
Finding a book
Search for the book using the book title or the author and a keyword from the title
Search the Library Catalogue using the book title and the name of the Editor
Managing your library books
- Undergraduates can borrow 20 books, taught postgraduates 25 books and researchers 35 books at any one time.
- If you need a book for longer you can renew the book by going to your Library Record.
- If all copies of a book are out on loan and you would like to get hold of a copy you can reserve it
- If there is an electronic copy (e-book) click on the link and login. E-books are exactly the same in terms of content as a printed book; they are just in a different format. We buy e-books from a number of different sources, please check the help files on the specific platform or contact the firstname.lastname@example.org for further help.
Can't find what you need?
If you cannot find the book you're looking for in Library SmartSearch you can suggest that we buy the book using this form.
If there are books on your Reading List which the Library doesn't have please contact lis_readinglists.ac.uk and we will contact your lecturer.